Monday, June 16, 2014

Plan B Journal

Plan B
“But our continuing failure to reverse the environmental trends that are undermining the world fuel economy forces me to conclude that if we continue with business as usual such a collapse is not only possible but likely” (Brown, 2009, p. 3).

http://www.lanarc.ca/preventing-soil-erosion-in-your-garden/
Before reading the Plan B chapters, I honestly never quite understood how humans could possibly create so much destruction to the environment. After reading this, I am shocked. It especially surprises me that food supply is beginning to be a problem if we do not do something immediately. I have never linked the high food prices to the erosion of soil but it makes complete sense. Which also leads to another problem, poverty. Poverty could essentially be helped if the environment was treated better so the prices would decrease. It is so upsetting that we can’t expand food production fast enough, hence we cannot continue at the population rate the universe is on. It is especially sad that we cannot expand production because of the things that people are doing to the environment. Failure is a very strong word but we are on that road. Reversing the environmental trends will be difficult but I believe with more awareness and education, we can defeat the collapse.

“We can either create assets for the future or take the assets of the future. One is called restoration and the other exploitation” (Brown, 2009, p. 15). 

http://www.aiche.org/ifs/resources
This quote caused me to think about sustainability and the importance of it. Before this class, I had no clue what sustainability was and honestly didn’t really care to mind. I believe this could be the same for many people. I am becoming educated about what is really going on in the world. It is so important to continue at a pace where future generations will have things that they need to survive and live happy and healthy. We need to do something now so that my kid’s children will have a good life. In a sense, I believe we are taking assets that are needed for the future. Creating these assets will set a standard that could continue through the next generations to come. We need to restore what we have done to the environment and make it a main goal to prevent exploitation in the present and the future. It seems like a hard task but I believe every person can make a difference.

“The notion that our civilization is approaching its demise is not an easy concept to grasp or accept” (Brown, 2009, p. 241).
http://www.canadianprogressiveworld.com

I believe denial is one of the main issues with people not tending to the environmental needs. I think many people care about the environment and preserving it, however I think that ignoring it is easier than learning and accepting it, myself included. Its hard and upsetting to think that the many things I do on a daily basis is impacting the environment in a negative way. The concept is so large that it is absolutely hard to grasp and understand. Not until the environmental problems directly impact people, I do not think much will be done about it. Chapter ten included a lot about what needed to be done and what goals the plan would accomplish, however I just have a hard time believing all of those goals are achievable, especially because politics and money will get in the way.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment