Monday, May 19, 2014

Orr Journal










Love It or Lose It: The Coming Biophilia Revolution
Quotations by David Orr

“Compared with earlier cultures, our distinction lies in the fact that technology now allows us to move much further toward total domination of nature than ever before” (Orr 188)

Photo created by Marcus Jansen
The word domination in this sentence sticks out to me. I think what Orr means by domination, is the fact that we as humans have the capability to destroy the nature that surrounds us. I would lie if I said all technology is a bad thing. I believe in many ways technology is doing wonderful things, however with the advancement of genetic engineering and nanotechnologies, we are in a way manipulating and changing the course of nature in a negative light. Earlier cultures seemed not to dominate nature, but rather, be one with the nature that they surrounded themselves with. I feel like we must adopt the ways of earlier cultures to create an increased sense of biophilia to create a world where nature can flourish. 

“Environmental free riders benefit from others’ willingness to fight for the clean are they breathe, the clean water they drink, the preservation of biological diversity that sustains them, and the conservation of the soil that feeds them” (Orr 191)

Photo found in GOOGLE images
In complete honesty, I would have to consider myself an environmental free rider. I do not do nearly as much as I could to fight for the many things that I take for granted. Reading this excerpt makes me feel empowered to do more to preserve the earth and land that I take for granted. I believe many people have biophobia because they are fearful of the truth. I agree that it is not okay that the work to protect the earth is unfairly distributed. In some ways I believe that sometimes I try not to think about all the devastating things that are destroying the earth because I am fearful of what will happen. There is a difference in not liking nature and not respecting nature. Some people just don’t enjoy exploring nature and viewing all the things it has to offer, in my opinion that is okay. However, it is not okay for people to disrespect and destroy the things that nature gives its people. 

 
“We cannot win this battle to save species and environments without forging an emotional bond between ourselves and nature as well- for we will not fight to save what we do not love” (Orr 197)

Photo found by GOOGLE images
Out of this entire section written by Orr, this is my favorite quote. It is so powerful and speaks volumes about what is happening and what needs to be changed. More people need to feel emotionally connected with nature. Effort must be put forth for that emotional bond to be created. Just like the excerpt states, we depend on nature more then we will ever know. So many things that we depend on, contribute to our survival and well-being.  This statement makes me think of the first time I saw mountains. Being born in Florida, seeing the mountains for the first time was absolutely fascinating. Ever since then, I have felt more connected with nature. Feeling emotionally connected with nature will cause the love that is needed to help conserve the land.  We will only fight when we begin to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment